- Moderating the judgments by senior leaders of the quality of teaching and modelling effective feedback.
- Whole school reviews.
- Coach of senior and middle leaders, governors, and classroom teachers.
- Self evaluation and school improvement planning.
- School and departmental reviews, for example the quality of teaching, personal development, behaviour and welfare, leadership and management. Data analysis – Raiseonline, National Progression Guidance.
- Specialist in SEN – review of provision, evaluating pupil progress, providing practical advice.
- Completed several local authority wide reviews of aspects of special educational needs provision such as specialist learning centres. Collection and analysis of student voice.
- Lesson observations with developmental feedback.
- Delivering whole school training in mainstream secondary and primary schools, special schools and PRUs.
- Head, deputy head teacher and other senior appointments.
- Extensive governor training
- Extensive whole school training in a wide range of areas of teaching and learning, running INSET session to large and small audiences
- Conference presentations eg for SSAT, NAHT, London Challege and academy chains.
- An accredited ASCL trainer.
- Challenge Partner assessor.
- Particular interest in the needs of able pupils.
- Extensive head teacher performance management.
School improvement experience
- School improvement adviser for Wiltshire Local Authority focusing particularly on schools in difficulty.
- Particular interest in effective and rigorous self evaluation.
- Led international professional development programme to USA.
- Delivering a range of I CAN whole school programmes, such as Secondary Talk and Talk Boost which develop schools’ ability to improve children’s communication skills.
- Led whole school reviews.
- Experienced trainer on a wide range of subjects- SEN, pedagogy, governor training.
- Assessor for national Challenge Award for able gifted and talented pupils.
- Lecturer on teacher training courses.
- School Improvement Partner (and equivalent) in a range of secondary schools (including an all boys’ school and a girls’ grammar) pupil referral units and special schools (including complex, ASD and BESD schools) (2004 – 2010).
- Senior education adviser for I CAN, the national charity for children with communication difficulties (2007 –2014) which has special schools for children aged 5-19 with complex communication difficulties. Both were recently judged to be outstanding.
- Seconded to the leadership team of a secondary school in difficulty (2006).
- Adviser for Wiltshire leading on special educational needs, cross curricular issues, middle leadership training, secondary NQTs, teaching assistant professional development, G&T provision, workforce reform (1997 -2007).
- Special needs coordinator in a mainstream secondary school (1990 -1997).
Qualifications and Teaching Experience
- Degree, University of Durham (1980), PGCE, University of Bristol (1986), M.Ed, University of Bristol (1994), School Improvement Partner (2005), Ofsted Inspector (originally 1998 and currently)
- 14 years in secondary, special schools and working with adults, including one year in a multi cultural school in Australia. Class teacher of English, Maths, French, Humanities.