An experienced school improvement adviser and classroom practitioner, with particular expertise of working with low achieving groups, who can get alongside school colleagues and move them forward with tailored, specific and practical advice.
- High impact coaching and mentoring for teachers and support staff. Ability to move on ‘stuck’ colleagues and improve performance.
- Coaching and mentoring for middle and pastoral leaders, and action planning for vulnerable and underperforming groups, developing a practical solution focused approach.
- Identification of best practice and sharing it within and between departments.
- Reviews of specialist provision eg Behaviour Units, Learning Support Units, and SEN departments.
- Whole school reviews of the effectiveness of support staff.
- Collection and analysis of student voice for monitoring the success of interventions or self-evaluation (eg rewards, anti bullying, marking and feedback.)
- Problem solving clinics on INSET days tailored to the needs of individuals (e.g. classroom management issues).
- Key appointments including head, deputy head teacher, and specialist support staff such as behaviour leaders and SENCos.
School improvement experience
- Associate Consultant for I CAN, national charity for children with communication difficulties (2011 – 2014) working with secondary and special schools on Secondary Talk programme (a whole school programme to develop pupils’ communication and literacy skills).
- Teaching & Learning Consultant Bath & NE Somerset (2003 -2010) leading on coaching and mentoring, behaviour, attendance, SEN, Teaching Assistants and Social Emotional Aspects of Learning.
- Mentor and assessor for Inclusion Quality Mark.
- Successful involvement with Satisfactory to Good programme, Gaining Ground and National Challenge.
- Assistant Principal (1999 – 2003) at Frome Community College (age 14-19), leading on Inclusion, SEN, G&T and strategic management of three on site learning centres for behaviour, hearing and language impairment. Community partnership working, transition in and out of the College of vulnerable groups, brokering provision from special schools and multi agency working.
- Head of Language Resource Base, Somerset Local Authority. Set up and led new provision for secondary students with language and communication difficulties, including Asperger’s, ADHD and Specific Language Impairment (1997-2003).
- Led an international professional development programme to USA.
- Middle school governor for 7 years leading on teaching and learning and special needs.
Qualifications and teaching experience
- Degree, University of Durham (1978), Diploma in Teaching English as a Foreign Language, British Council (1980), PGCE University of Durham (1981), Advanced Diploma in Special Needs, Open University (1987).
- 19 years in primary, secondary, youth offending settings and abroad as both class teacher and specialist SEN teacher. Key areas of responsibility: low achieving groups, SEN, nurture groups with vulnerable learners and young people with emotional or behavioural difficulties.