An experienced school improvement adviser and coach, with a practical, solution focussed approach.
- High impact coaching, mentoring and supervison for teachers and school leaders.
- Reviews of specialist provision.
- Consultant for Oxford Brookes University. Evaluating national
projects, conducting interviews with service users.
- Consultant for I CAN, national charity for children with communication difficulties (2011 – 2014) delivering Secondary Talk, a whole school programme to develop pupils’ communication skills.
- Teaching & Learning Consultant Bath & NE Somerset (2003 -2010) leading on coaching and mentoring, behaviour, SEN and SEMH. Successful involvement with Satisfactory to Good programme, Gaining Ground and National Challenge.
- Mentor and assessor for Inclusion Quality Mark.
- Assistant Principal (1999 – 2003) at Frome Community College (age 14-19), leading on Inclusion, SEN, the most able and strategic management of three on site learning centres for behaviour, hearing and language impairment. Community partnership working, transition of vulnerable pupils from special schools and multi agency working.
- Head of Language Resource Base, Somerset Local Authority. Set up and led new provision for secondary students with language and communication difficulties, including Asperger’s, ADHD and Specific Language Impairment (1997-2003).
- Led an international professional development programme to USA.
- Middle school governor for 7 years leading on teaching and learning and special needs.
Qualifications and teaching experience
- Degree, University of Durham, Diploma in Teaching English as a Foreign Language, British Council (1980), PGCE University of Durham, Advanced Diploma in Special Needs, Open University.
- 30 years in primary, secondary, middle and special schools as both class teacher and specialist support teacher. Key areas of responsibility: low achieving groups, SEN, nurture groups and young people with emotional and/or behavioural difficulties.